Doncaster Office
Sheffield Office

A Guide to County Court Judgments

15 March 2019

Emma Cornell

county court judgements

Have you ever wondered what a County Court Judgement is and what to do if ever you had one?

In England and Wales County Court Judgements (CCJ’s) are legal decisions handed down by the County Court. Judgements for monetary sums are entered on the statutory Register of Judgements, which are checked by credit reference agencies to assess the credit-worthiness of individuals.

An alleged debtor is sent postal notification of an impending County Court case, to which they have fourteen days to respond, by paying the money, admitting owing a smaller sum, denying owing it, or going to a court hearing. If there is no response judgement will be granted against the debtor by default upon the Claimant making a request for judgement. Likewise, if a debtor goes to Court and loses, a County Court Judgement will be ordered against the Debtor.

“I have a County Court Judgement entered against me that I have now paid, what should do next?”

In order to show you have paid a Court Order you will have to fill out an N443 court form to tell the court that you have paid the full amount of an order and apply for a ‘certificate of satisfaction’ or ‘certificate of cancellation’. 

CCJ’s and your credit rating

If you get a County Court Judgement (CCJ) or a High Court Judgement, it will stay on the Register of Judgements for 6 years. Banks and loan companies use this information to decide whether to give you credit or loans.

 If you pay within a month

If you pay the full amount within a month you can get the judgement removed from the register via a certificate of cancellation.

If you pay after a month

If you pay after a month, you can get the record of the judgement marked as ‘satisfied’ in the register via a certificate of satisfaction. It will stay on the register for 6 years but people searching the register will see that you’ve paid. 

What happens if you get a County Court Judgement?

If you owe money and don't pay it back, the people you owe money to may enforce the debt through the court. This would be, for example, by sending a Bailiff or High Court Enforcement Officer to take goods.

If you would like more information about County Court Judgements or would like any other specialist disputes advice, please do not hesitate to contact Emma Cornell, Head of Disputes Resolution, on 01302965299 or alternatively you can email