This week marks "Good Divorce week" which is aimed at kickstarting a national conversation about how parents can embrace a child-focused approach to separation. Good Divorce Week is a national campaign run by the Family Law organisation, Resolution to raise awareness of key areas when it comes to resolving family matters.
The Parenting Charter
Resolution recognises that conflict is damaging for Children during parents separating. The parenting Charter sets out what children should be able to expect from their parents if they are separating. It supports parents in maintaining the best interests of their children during the family difficulty.
Resolution encourages parents to agree together, their children have the right to:
- Be at the centre of any decisions made about their lives.
- Know and have contact with both sides of their families, including any siblings who may not live with them, as long as they are safe.
- Be kept informed about matters in an age-appropriate manner.
- Protection from harm, and from adults who might do them harm.
- Protection from information and material, including that found online, which may be harmful to them.
- Support and encouragement in all aspects of their lives, including their education, as well as their physical and mental well-being.
Here is what our Head of Family Law, Sharon Mckie thinks of Good Divorce Week:
"This week marks the start of Resolution’s annual “Good Divorce Week”. This year the focus is on enabling parents to adopt a child-focused approach to separation. Resolution has launched a free guide called “Parenting through Separation” and it can be accessed through their website. The guide contains useful advice to parents to help put their children first during a separation. Here at Taylor Bracewell, we support Good Divorce Week and encourage separating parents to take professional advice and to access available materials for support, such as those provided by Resolution."
Here is a video explaining what Good Divorce Week is about:
Here at Taylor Bracewell, we provide our full support for Good Divorce Week as raising awareness of these subjects are necessary and vital for children's futures. If you require any further information or would like to receive some advice in relation to a divorce, our family team can be reached by calling 01302 341 414